The Best of Drugstore: Cream Eyeshadow Edition

Maybelline NY Color 24HR Tattoo, Max Factor Excess Shimmer, Rimmel Kate Scandaleyes
Don’t get me wrong; I cherish the time I have on the weekends to put the effort into doing my make up. Buffed, blended and contoured galore, this is the way I wish I could have my face everyday. But, realistically, on a daily basis I’m usually rushing around at the last minute, (as a result of my terrible time keeping skills) and throwing things into my bag, half dressed, before I have to sprint out of the front door. However, this was before I was introduced to the vast majority of cream eyeshadows available on the market, making it a lot easier to look half decent during the day. On a little swatch mission in Boots, and with some great recommendations from other beauty bloggers, I discovered that there are some amazing cream eyeshadows available at such affordable prices and therefore practical for everyday use.




The ones that made the cut:

  • Maybelline Colour Tattoo 24HR - £4.99
  • Max Factor Excess Shimmer - £7.99
  • Rimmel Scandaleyes Shadow Stick - £4.49
(See swatches at the end of the post)



The Maybelline Colour Tattoo 24HR pots have a Make Up Forever Aqua Cream vibe to them. They could essentially be the same product, minus the shade selection and creaminess. Nevertheless, it's still a long-lasting, pigmented and easy 'slap and go' product. I have one in the shade On and On Bronze. The shade captures the light beautifully and looks fresh and brightening all over the lid. You can't really go wrong with this product, I cannot recommend it enough.


Next up, the Max Factor Excess Shimmer. These have to be my favourite and I'm in love with the texture of these shadows. Whenever I open my little pot of Bronze i'm always reminded of a dark chocolate mousse. They're extremely creamy, have great longevity and are easy to blend. (These words may start to sound a tad cliché but it's true!) One thing I will say is that unlike the Maybelline 24HR Tattoo shadows, these need a little bit more attention when blending onto the eyelid. A fluffy brush does the trick in seconds. Overall, i'm a big fan.


The idea of having a cream eyeshadow in chunky pencil form is genius. Brands such as Bourjois, Collection and even luxury brand Charlotte Tilbury have taken to doing this and it's so cool. 

The Rimmel Scandaleyes is the easiest of the bunch. It's light in weight and the procedure goes as follows:

1. Colour in the eyelid
2. Quickly blend out edges with your finger
3. You are ready

It takes practice when you're working with powder eyeshadows. I feel cream eyeshadows are the way forward for people who want to add a wash of colour to the eye for work, university or a night out, but don't feel confident enough to use 4 different shades on their make up look.

Left to Right: Scandaleyes Rose Gold, Colour Tattoo 24HR On and On Bronze, Max Factor Excess Shimmer Bronze
Lets quickly talk packaging. All of these formulas have been put into small, neat and concise packaging that is so convenient for travel or just putting into your everyday bag.

Here's to turning into a cream eyeshadow hoarder, how exciting!  


Post a Comment