My Top 10 Beauty Tools




I remember the days when I used to attempt to use my finger to accomplish a smokey eye. Or use those little plastic sponge contraptions that you get in quads to blend my eyeshadows together. Even if those contraptions come in a Dior palette, they're still dreadful! At the time I probably thought that I was winning at life but that all changed when I purchased my first ever make-up brush - the MAC 217. 

I'm a little obsessed with make-up tools. Anyone that comes into my bedroom and notices the IKEA pots full of brushes never fail to ask - 'Do you really need that many brushes? What do you use them all for?'. To answer your question - Yes, yes I do!

Brushes can be expensive things but if you don't want to spend a fortune on beauty tools then there are also some amazing and cheaper alternatives on the market that won't break the bank. Additionally, brushes don't always have to be used for what they are specifically designed for.

L - R - Louise Young LY34, MAC Small Contour, Real Techniques Pointed Foundation Brush, Real Techniques Setting Brush, Beauty Blender

L-R - RT Deluxe Crease Brush, MAC 210, MAC 239, Sigma E40 and MAC 217

Here are my top 10 favourite make-up tools:

Face

1. Louise Young Super Foundation Brush LY34 - £24.00

The most accurate description I can think of for this brush is - the big fluffy blending brush of every busy woman's dreams. It blends your foundation out in a matter of seconds. I like to use it when I'm in a rush and when I have all the time in the world to put my slap on. But for when I am pushed for time, it beats applying my base with my hands!

It can be a pain in the bum to clean but the advantages definitely weigh out the latter.

If you look on the low to high end brush price spectrum, £24.00 really isn't that bad. Especially when you take into consideration the size of this tool.

2. Beauty Blender - £16.00

Yes, I know. This little cute sponge is pricey for a sponge. But it's the most highly impressive and versatile sponge that you will ever come across. If you want to use a powder, cream or liquid the Beauty Blender can work with it. It needs cleaning after every use but that isn't massively time consuming.

Please note - used best when damp.

3. MAC 109 Small Contour Brush - £28.00

In all honesty, this is the first 'contour' brush that I have ever used. And as far as MAC face brushes go, this can mault slightly when you wash it. But the brush itself is a great size for getting into the contours of the face and does a great job of blending powders. 

4. Real Techniques Pointed Foundation Brush

You can only buy this in the Real Techniques Core Collection. It will cost you £20.99 for four base brushes. I have a slight problem with the name of this tool. I would never apply and 'buff' my foundation in with it because it's so small and fairly stiff. On the contrary, I love it for applying my concealer. Preferably my MAC Pro Longwear concealer. Great size for nooks and crannies but I wouldn't recommend it as a foundation brush.

The RT Setting Brush is a fantastic and versatile brush. You can use it to blend in concealer, set your concealer with powder, apply highlighters, contour with powders or blend in cream contour products. I strongly believe that every beauty lover would benefit from having this brush in their collection. And it's so very cheap!

Eyes

6. MAC 239 Eye Shader - £21.00

I'm having a thing for MAC pigments and Make-Up Geek foiled eyeshadows at the moment. And yes, it's not Christmas anymore but I think that it is still acceptable to throw on a little shimmer/glitter once in a while, (I hope).

A flat eyeshadow brush is always your best friend when you want to get as much pigment out of a product as possible.


There's no point in rambling on about this brush. I think anyone reading this probably already owns it, or has heard about it or knows somebody that already owns one or five of them.

It is a smokey eyes bestfriend. And works way better than one of those plastic contraptions!

A very similar dupe for this brush is the Zoeva 227 Luxe Soft Definer that retails for £6.95. You can buy three for the price of one 217.




Ah! A new addition to my brush family and I'm already getting myself geared up to order another 2, 3 or 4. I'm so thankful that the likes of Feel Unique, Cult Beauty and Beauty Bay are supplying some of the most sought after and unaccessible beauty brands to the UK. My bank account says otherwise but it sparks tons of joy for me.

The Sigma E40 is fabulous. This brush is fantastic for blending out any harsh edges and applying a soft and well blended transition shade to the crease.


I'm terrible at eye liner. So much so that I have given up on attempting any kind of wing at all as it always ends in tears. Well, close to tears.

Adding definition when I'm doing a smokey eye is essential though. And this brush is perfect for doing just that. The fine tip gives way for great precision. Even if your hand tends to get the shakes.

10. Real Techniques Deluxe Crease Brush

The RT Deluxe Crease Brush can only been found in the eye brush set for £20.99.

It is another great versatile brush. I personally never use it in the crease because I find it too big for that. However, this brush is brilliant for buffing in concealer or eyeshadow primer, packing shadow onto the lid and even adding a highlight into the inner corners of the eye.

My most recent brush purchase was yesterday when I picked up the MAC 188 Small Duo Fibre Face Brush. So far I absolutely love it.

What are your favourite beauty tools? I would love to know. :) 

Post a Comment